Welcome to our Competency Framework. This generic framework was developed to apply to all jobs within an organization and to integrate the work of Human Resources in a qualitative & quantitative framework. We have provided you with some information below regarding our Competency Framework and how it can help your organization in developing a strategic human resources foundation that integrates recruitment & onboarding, performance management, training & development and rewards/ recognition.
What is a competency framework?
A competency framework is a behaviour model that broadly defines the expected standard of performance within an organization or a sector. The ideas is that certain behaviours lead to high performance and by tapping into the behaviours of a high performing organization you can create a common language for describing workforce needs based on your mission, vision and values. Generally the framework consists of a number of competencies generically applied to a broad number of roles within the organization.
Competencies are a signal from the organization’s leadership to the individual of expected behaviors of the organization. They provide individuals with a map of these expected behaviors as well as the skills that will be valued, recognized and rewarded
Some of the most important benefits of a competency framework:
- Focuses on organizational performance and how employees fit into picture.
- Assists with workforce planning and succession planning – by identifying requirements for a job and how staff can develop to move up within an organization
- Helps to attract and retain staff, particularly when linked to career progression
- Targets scarce training and development dollars more effectively and encourages employees to take more responsibility for their own development
- Develops employees in a structured way as we respond to changes in ways of working
- Links organizational goals and employees personal objectives and ensures that employees are clear about how they are expected to perform in their jobs
- Helps to define the culture by enabling staff to be clear about what is expected of them, not just in terms of targets or priorities but also in terms of their way of working and the attitudes and approaches that are expected of them.
How Does It Work?
LEGACY is an acronym for Leader, Engagement, Goals, Analytical, Customer Focused and You Self-Aware. The behavioural competencies were developed through research into workplace culture, change management and organizational development. Under each of these competencies are a set of five behaviors that are expected of job families for a total of 30 overall behaviors. These behaviors are attached to job families within the organization as follows:
- EXECTIVE MANAGEMENT
- SENIOR MANAGEMENT
- ENTRY LEVEL
In order to keep a framework simple it must concentrate on the things that will be common to all roles across your organization. Where activities and contexts are very diverse it becomes difficult to identify actions and skills that are common but it can be easier to agree on what attitudes and approaches could be considered ‘excellent’ within any context. Therefore the simplest and most flexible frameworks will be those that concentrate on behaviour i.e.‘ if and how’ things are done rather than on the specific skill and knowledge i.e. ‘what’ is done.
The behaviors cascade through the job families beginning with a “core set” of 8 competencies. For example entry level employees would be required to have the “core set” as identified through job interview questioning. As we move through each job family the core set remains and additional competencies are required in a cascading effect.
From this framework we can begin to build performance management appraisals, interview questions, engagement surveys, codes of conduct, analytic tools and metrics. By hardwiring the expected behaviours it takes to be an innovative employee into your organizations strategic plan, culture change and innovation begin to take root! We believe that all employees want to make a difference – we all want to leave a LEGACY.